Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, also known as hypromellose, cellulose hydroxypropyl methyl ether, is obtained by using high purity cotton cellulose as a raw material and special etherification under alkaline conditions.
Hydroxypropy Methyl Cellulose Ether (HPMC) is widely used as a thickener, stabilizer and water retaining agent for building materials. It provides water retention and workability for mortars, it can improve adhesion, reduce skinning and increase open time.HPMC also has thickening ability, low ash content, PH stability, water retention, excellent film forming, and extensive enzyme resistance, dispersion and so on.
* Particle size: 98.5% passes through 100 mesh; 100% passes through 80 mesh.
* Charring temperature: 280-300ºC.
* Bulk density: 0.25-0.70 g/cm3 (Usually around 0.5 g/cm3 )
* Real specific gravity: 1.26-1.31.
* Browning temperature: 190-200ºC.
* Surface tension: (2% water solution) 42-56dyn.cm.
* Properties: Dissolved in water and some organic solvent such as ethanol. propyl alcohol. ethylene chloride, the water solution is of surface activity. It is a nonionic surface active agent. Gelation temperature is different for different grades. For example, among 60RT Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, 60 is gelation temperature, Namely, 2% water solution will form gelation at 60%.